I am BEYOND thrilled to be attending Chicago Gourmet for the first time! What an exciting year to attend because 2017 is the 10th anniversary of Chicago Gourmet. The main event will be held in Millennium Park on September 23rd and 24th. With this year being so special though, there will be TEN Thrilling ancillary events. Tickets for the main events on September 23rd and 24th are on sale NOW! Tickets for the ten ancillary events go on sale June 22nd. To find out more check out the press release below!
CHICAGO GOURMET TAKES EXTRAORDINARY CHEFS TO EXTRAORDINARY PLACES
Tickets for 10th Anniversary Ancillary Events Go on Sale Thursday, June 22
Chicago Gourmet is ready to party…times ten! 2017 marks ten delicious years that star chefs and food lovers alike have flocked to Millennium Park for Bon Appétit presents Chicago Gourmet. To celebrate ten years of decadence, this year’s epicurean celebration will showcase ten thrilling ancillary events – seven new and three returning favorites – in addition to the Main Event and Grand Cru, September 23-24.
Hot on the heels of Chicago being named the best restaurant city in America by Condé Nast Traveler, it was no surprise that organizers at the Illinois Restaurant Association sought to align with another famed aspect of the city–it’s unmatched beauty and award-winning architecture–to curate imaginative, never-before-held culinary events. After joining forces with partners at the Chicago Architecture Foundation, Chicago Architecture Biennial and the Frank Lloyd Wright Trust, the eXtraordinary chefs – eXtraordinary places collection sprang to life. A sunset cocktail hour at The Crown of the historic Tribune Tower. An intimate dinner at the landmarked Robie House. A farm-to-table dinner on The 606. A Japanese feast under the stars on the main stage of the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. These are just a few examples of the exclusive access to both culinary and architectural greats foodies can experience this September.
“Chicago Gourmet is an incredible showcase of the talented chefs and industry leaders who make our city the world-class culinary destination we are today,” Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said. “Its expansion to highlight Chicago’s rich architectural history is a testament to the vitality of this seminal event and its close connection to Chicago’s dynamic cultural landscape.”
Attendees of the eXtraordinary chefs – eXtraordinary places series will mingle with the country’s finest chefs as they host one-of-a-kind dinners, tastings and cocktail parties at iconic, select Chicago locales. The lineup includes chefs who have championed Chicago Gourmet since year one; new, emerging talent to watch; and both homegrown and national celebrity chefs who have become synonymous with the Chicago Gourmet experience.
In addition to drawing excitement for stellar chefs and the city’s unmatched architecture, all Chicago Gourmet events are also created with community in mind. Collectively, Chicago Gourmet’s programs benefit notable Chicago charities including the Chicago Parks Foundation, Frontera Farmer Foundation, the James Beard Foundation, the Illinois Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (IRAEF) and Pilot Light.
“Chicago’s culinary industry is known for its big-heartedness and its commitment to giving back,” said Sam Toia, President and CEO of the Illinois Restaurant Association. “We want to emulate that same spirit of giving in all aspects of Chicago Gourmet. Through our charitable partnerships, we are committed to supporting and advancing the city’s green space, the Midwest farming community, the hospitality industry and the potential for our future generations.”
The eXtraordinary chefs – eXtraordinary places collection includes the below lineup. Ticket sales for select events will open June 22, with additional on-sale dates to be announced later this summer for the remaining events.
Tickets go on sale Thursday, June 22 at 10 a.m. for:
1. September 19, 6-8 p.m.: Cocktails on The Crown ($50/person) – Grab your pals and marvel at the sunset and unparalleled skyline views as you sip on custom cocktails crafted by Chicago’s premier mixologists on the 25th floor of the stunning Tribune Tower. This event is produced in partnership with the James Beard Foundation’s Greens program, which curates events for foodies under 40. Greens members receive a discount on ticket pricing.
2. September 20, 7-10 p.m.: Daring Design Dinner at the Robie House ($225/person) – Gain exclusive access to the famed Frank Lloyd Wright’s treasured Robie House in Hyde Park, and indulge in a multi-course meal prepared by all-star chefs Matthias Merges (Yusho, A10, Billy Sunday) and Carrie Nahabedian (NAHA, Brindille). Constellation Brands will pour from the Robert Mondavi Reserve collection.
3. September 23, 7:30-10 p.m.: Japanese Dinner Under the Stars on the Pritzker Pavilion Stage ($250/person) – Dine under the stars on Millennium Park’s dramatic main stage, designed by distinguished architect Frank Gehry. Described by one architecture critic as “most spectacular structure to go up in early-twenty-first-century Chicago,” guests are in for an unforgettable affair as celebrity chef Ivan Orkin (Ivan Ramen, Chef’s Table), Chicago’s own Takashi Yagihashi, and international star Naoyuki Yanagihara (Vice President of Yanagihara School of Traditional Japanese Cuisine) create a lavish, multi-course Japanese dinner. Guests will enjoy expertly matched selections from Suntory Toki whiskey and Joto Sake.
4. September 23, 11 p.m.-2 a.m.: Sweets & Beats: After Hours Dance Party on the Willis Tower Skydeck ($85/person) – Let’s hear it for the girls! The party doesn’t end early this year. Host chef Mindy Segal (Mindy’s HotChocolate) teams up with Chicago’s “first ladies of pastry” to throw a tasty party featuring custom dessert bites, cocktails and more as guests dance the night away to a live DJ. You won’t want to miss this opportunity to experience the 103rd floor through the thrill of The Ledge after dark!
5. September 24, 8:30-10:45 a.m. or 10:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: Rise & Shine Gourmet at the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel ($40/person) – Presented by UnitedHealthcare, start your Sunday with a professionally guided, energizing yoga session at a landmark property. First opened in 1893, the Chicago Athletic Association was painstakingly restored into a highly lauded, 21st century boutique hotel. Following each yoga session, guests can feed their soul (and their belly) with brunch bites and morning cocktails presented by your favorite chefs!
Tickets will go on sale later this summer for the following events in the series:
6. September 20, 6-9 p.m.: Farm2Table Dinner on The 606 ($200/person) – Presented by the National Honey Board, Chicago’s spectacular greenway comes to life with gourmet food prepared by the legendary chef Rick Bayless (Frontera Restaurants). Organizers are working with the City of Chicago to finalize this unique, farm-to-table seated event, which will include featured pours by Casa Noble Tequila and pairings with New Zealand’s biodynamic Trinity Hill Winery.
7. September 22, 6-9 p.m.: Hamburger Hop at the Harris Theater Rooftop – The annual burger bash, presented by Buckhead Beef and Blue Moon Brewing Co., is back, this time with a 10th anniversary twist! Newcomer chefs will go head-to-head with previous Hamburger Hop winners for an opportunity to be crowned Peoples’ and Judges’ champion. Bon Appétit magazine’s Editor in Chief Adam Rapoport and Deputy Editor Andrew Knowlton return as the evening’s affable hosts, alongside a panel of celebrity judges.
8. September 22, 9 p.m.-midnight: Late Night Gourmet, presented by CS magazine at The Underground – Immediately following the Hamburger Hop, guests can groove their way to over to acclaimed celebrity lair, The Underground, for bites, cocktails and DJ beats.
9. September 23, 7-10 p.m.: Ballpark Fare Goes Gourmet at The Park at Wrigley – This event flips the script on an average ballpark frank; guests can expect “haute” dogs prepared by Chicago’s preeminent toques, including Jimmy Bannos Jr. (The Purple Pig), Paul Kahan (One Off Hospitality), Jeff Mauro (Pork & Mindy’s), Jason Vincent (Giant) and more. Personality Billy Dec (Rockit Ranch Productions) will share his contagious energy as the evening’s emcee. With musical entertainment and refreshing beverages, guests are in for a fun-filled evening adjacent to the celebrated Wrigley Field.
10. Calling all foodies, connoisseurs, bon vivants and gourmands! A mystery pop-up will round out the series with beloved, star Chicago chefs. Details to be announced soon for this not to be missed affair!
ABOUT BON APPÉTIT PRESENTS CHICAGO GOURMET
Chicago Gourmet, the nation’s premier culinary experience aimed at promoting Chicago’s world-class culinary community, returns to Millennium Park September 23-24, 2017. Celebrating its tenth anniversary year, organizers will also present eXtraordinary chefs – eXtraordinary places, a range of thrilling culinary events held in Chicago’s most iconic locales the week of September 18. Chicago Gourmet was created by the Illinois Restaurant Association to celebrate and honor both Chicago’s culinary achievements and the creative vision of the chefs, Master Sommeliers, and wine-, spirit-, and beer-makers who participate. It also spotlights Chicago as an international culinary destination via its unparalleled epicurean talent. Chicago Gourmet would not be possible without the support of title sponsor Bon Appétit magazine and presenting sponsor Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits, LLC. For more information, please visit http://www.chicagogourmet.org/ and follow on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
ABOUT CHICAGO ARCHITECTURE FOUNDATION
The Chicago Architecture Foundation (CAF) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring people to discover why design matters. As an education leader in architecture and design, CAF offers tours, programs, exhibitions, field trips, curricula and online tools that are part of a dynamic learning journey for all ages. Proceeds from CAF’s tours and gift store, as well as grants, sponsorships and donations, support this educational mission. For more information, visit http://www.architecture.org/.
ABOUT THE 2017 CHICAGO ARCHITECTURE BIENNIAL
The 2017 Chicago Architecture Biennial will be free and open to the public September 16, 2017- January 7, 2018 and will align with the sixth annual EXPO CHICAGO, the International Exposition of Contemporary and Modern Art, September 13–17, at Navy Pier. The hub of the 2017 Biennial will once again be the Chicago Cultural Center and will provide a platform for groundbreaking architectural projects and spatial experiments that demonstrate how creativity and innovation can radically transform our lived experience under this year’s theme, “Make New History.”
The 2017 Biennial is presented in partnership with the City of Chicago’s Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events and funded through private donations with lead support from SC Johnson, Presenting Sponsor; BP, Founding Sponsor; Marriott, Hotel Sponsor; and philanthropic support from The Richard H. Driehaus Foundation, The Chicago Community Trust, National Endowment for the Arts, and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation. The Chicago Architecture Foundations is the Biennial’s Signature Education Sponsor. For more information, please visit http://chicagoarchitecturebiennial.org/.
ABOUT FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT TRUST
The Frank Lloyd Wright Trust is a leading national Frank Lloyd Wright non-profit organization based in Chicago, where the largest number of original Wright sites is located. Dedicated to preservation and interpretation of Wright’s design legacy, the Trust operates public tours at five Chicago area sites and offers both in-school and on-site programs for youth, families and adults. Owner, operator and preservation steward of Wright’s Oak Park Home and Studio (1889/1898) where Wright established his career and created the Prairie-style of architecture, the Trust also operates the iconic Frederick C. Robie House (1908-10) in Chicago’s Hyde Park neighborhood, and offers public tours and programs at Unity Temple (1905-08) in Oak Park, The Rookery Light Court (1905) in the Chicago Loop, and Emil Bach House (1915) in Chicago’s Rogers Park neighborhood. For more information, visit flwright.org.
ABOUT THE JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION (JBF)
Founded in 1986, the James Beard Foundation celebrates, nurtures, and honors chefs and other leaders making America’s food culture more delicious, diverse, and sustainable for everyone. A cookbook author and teacher with an encyclopedic knowledge about food, the late James Beard was a champion of American cuisine. He helped educate and mentor generations of professional chefs and food enthusiasts, instilling in them the value of wholesome, healthful, and delicious food. Today JBF continues in the same spirit by administering a number of diverse programs that include educational initiatives, food industry awards, scholarships for culinary students, publications, chef advocacy training, and thought-leader convening. The Foundation also maintains the historic James Beard House in New York City’s Greenwich Village as a “performance space” for visiting chefs. The JBF Greens is for food lovers between 21 and 40 years of age and hosts events in both NYC and Chicago. For more information please visit jamesbeard.org/greens or follow us on Instagram: @jbfgreens
ABOUT BON APPÉTIT
Bon Appétit is where food and culture meet. The award-winning No. 1 food lifestyle brand covers food through the lens of cooking, fashion, travel, design, and home. Under editor in chief Adam Rapoport, the brand has been nominated for 24 National Magazine Awards, including wins in 2017 and 2014 for General Excellence; 14 James Beard Foundation Journalism Awards; and more than 50 Society of Publication Designers (SPD) nominations including design, photography, and Magazine of the Year. The magazine was named an Ad Age Magazine of the Year in 2016, and has been named to AdWeek’s Hot List in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
ABOUT SOUTHERN GLAZER’S WINE & SPIRITS
Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits is North America’s largest wine and spirits distributor, and the preeminent data insights company for alcoholic beverages. The company has operations in 44 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, Canada, and the Caribbean, and employs more than 20,000 team members. Southern Glazer’s urges all retail customers and adult consumers to market, sell, serve, and enjoy its products responsibly. For more information visit www.southernglazers.com. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @sgwinespirits and on Facebook at Facebook.com/SouthernGlazers.
ABOUT THE ILLINOIS RESTAURANT ASSOCIATION
Founded in 1914, the Illinois Restaurant Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting, protecting, educating and improving the restaurant industry in Illinois. The IRA owns and produces Chicago Gourmet – the annual food and wine festival held in Millennium Park that unites hundreds of restaurants, chefs and beverage experts for a weekend filled with food and drink tastings, entertainment, cooking demonstrations, book signings, interactive seminars and more. The Association is a proud host of the James Beard Foundation Awards, which will be held in Chicago through 2021, and celebrates excellence in cuisine, culinary writing, and culinary education throughout the country. For more information about the Illinois Restaurant Association, visit http://www.illinoisrestaurants.org/ and follow on Facebook and Twitter.