October 15, 2016 was the 1920’s theme Star-Studded Gateway for Cancer Research Cures Gala. It was hosted at the Navy Pier Grand Ballroom. Chi@Glance head writer Tavi Johnson provided media coverage and got to interview some of America’s favorite Comedians, Musicians, and Writers. (Ceelo Green, Carly Rae Jepsen, Michael Bolton, Sinbad, The Tenors, Peter Cetera, David Foster (not pictured).
The event was about raising awareness and celebrating the 25th anniversary of “The Great Gateway: 25 years of illuminating the Way to Cures.” Gateway for Cancer Research is a non-profit dedicated to funding transformational cancer research. Richard J. Stephenson founded Cancer Treatment of America (CTCA), which created Gateway for Cancer Research. 99 Cents of every dollar Gateway receives directly funds Phase I and Phase II cancer clinical trials at leading research institutions across the country and abroad.
“Our mission instills a sense of urgency to accelerate the pace of cancer research,” said Teresa Hall Bartels, president, Gateway for Cancer Research. “Our dedication to investing heavily in novel patient-centric approaches, combined with the increasing rate of treatment advances, leads us to believe that together we can conquer cancer in our lifetime.”
I’m sure Cancer has touched the lives of everyone. Whether affected directly or indirectly, EVERYONE is praying for a cure. My father (Larry Johnson) passed away from Colin Cancer at the young age of 43 back in 2004. I was 19 at the time and thought I would have many years to come with my dad/bestfriend. Cancer sucks, cancer kills, and we need to work with organizations willing to invest ALL resources possible into finding a cure.
Gateway for Cancer Research has many celebrity fans very supportive of the cause. Check out the pics in the gallery below and keep scrolling down to read more about this wonderful organization!
See the fact sheet below and to learn how you can get involved!
Gateway for Cancer Research Fact Sheet
WHO WE ARE
Chicagoland-based Gateway for Cancer Research, an innovative charitable cancer research funding organization, invests in the next generation of breakthroughs in patient-centric cancer research. Over the past 25 years, Gateway has funded more than 140 Phase I and Phase II clinical trials at leading institutions worldwide, supporting significant cancer research breakthroughs.
- Gateway invests in transformational advances in research across all cancer types · 99% of all donations directly fund cancer research, thanks to generous underwriting from Cancer Treatment Centers of America · Gateway funded clinical trials have helped more than 3,000 patients and 85 percent of trials include robust patient-centered outcomes MISSION · Gateway’s mission is to fund meaningful and breakthrough clinical trials worldwide that help people living with cancer to feel better, live longer and conquer cancer TODAY! Gateway understands the urgent need to advance cancer care, and works with renowned researchers and physicians to help bring patient-centered clinical trials to life through impactful research grants.
GATEWAY’S GLOBAL IMPACT
- 70 percent of Gateway supported trials progress to the next phase of research · Gateway has 57 active clinical trials underway globally · 75 trials would not have proceeded without Gateway support · The overall survival rate reported to date is 52 percent · Since 1991, Gateway has funded trials around the world at esteemed institutions, including Mayo Clinic, MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Johns Hopkins University, Duke University, and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Through the generosity of donors, Gateway is able to find and fund pioneering investments in Phase I and Phase II trials, which have played a significant role in helping develop cancer research breakthroughs,
- Funding a portion of the early research leading to the development of what is known today as Herceptin – a targeted therapy for HER2 positive metastatic breast cancer · One of the first pediatric acute myeloid leukemia therapies to alter gene expression · Customized hybrid cancer vaccines now available for breast, multiple myeloma and gastrointestinal cancers with promising ability to increase survivorship · Gene therapy to prevent the progression of pre-melanoma skin cancer · Increased ability to identify growth patterns for brain tumors, which markedly increases survivorship WAYS TO GIVE Gateway is funded by compassionate, generous supporters passionate about helping people living with cancer improve their lives and have hope for tomorrow. It’s easy to give – simply visit the Gateway website, go to ͞Ways to Give͟ and click on donate. It only costs $16.56 to take care of one patient per day in a Gateway-funded clinical trial.
- Website: https://www.gatewaycr.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DemandCures/
- Twitter & Instagram: @DemandCures
Tavi J look for the Gala was sponsored by:
The Frock Shop
Dress by: Dave and Johnny
2150 S Canal Port Ave
Chicago, IL 60608
Van Cleef Hair Studio
Hair Stylist: Rahni Flowers
56 W Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60654
More from my site