BIO: Tavi J is the creator and writer for the Chicago Lifestyle Blog Chi@Glance (AKA Chiataglance). Chi@Glance explores ALL things Chicago. Her articles cover a wide variety of topics from fashion, to food, to art, and everything in between. Tavi takes fellow Chicagoan’s and tourist on her adventures to gala’s, expo’s, movie screenings, restaurant openings, fundraisers, and other various events throughout the Chicagoland area.
Once a month she does monthly Spotlight articles that feature a Chicagoan YOU should know from various industries. Tavi’s main objective is to shine a positive light on Chicago and take followers along on her adventures in discovering CHI-AT-A-GLANCE.
I can’t believe it’s been ONE YEAR already since I’ve started Chi@Glance! I’m so grateful for all the opportunities and experiences I have had thus far. I look forward to many years to come. I want to take the opportunity to tell you a little bit about myself and why I believe I am a Chicagoan YOU Should know. 🙂 I started my blog back in September 2015 out of boredom. Yes you read that right b-o-r-e-d-o-m. When I was in college (shout out to DePaul University! Any Blue Demon’s out there?) I worked full time and went to school full time at night. I didn’t have time for a social life at all. When I graduated I was just working full time. After a while that gets boring and I wanted to release my creative side.
Like most people instead of finding a solution I complained that I was bored. I was active in my social life and I was always the one people came to looking for suggestions… whether it be where to celebrate their anniversary, where to take a friend from out of town, what is the hottest new rooftop, or if I knew any good photographers or Dj’s. One of my girlfriends (thanks Trisha) noticed how much people came to me for assistance and she convinced me to start Yelping. I had only been yelping for about two weeks and I was approached to become YELP Elite. (As I said I go out A LOT! LOL). From there the rest is history. A natural progression for me involved me starting my own blog. One Saturday my sister (thanks Tosha) help me set up site logistics and I’ve been tweaking a few things on my site here and there ever since.
I define myself as a Lifestyle Blogger because I want to be involved in a variety of things. As a Lifestyle Blogger I’m able to cover a wide range of events and basically just report on anything and everything I’m interested in. I love fashion and have been able to go to amazing runway events and connect with other fashion bloggers. I have a huge food passion and I get to go to restaurant openings and try different culture cuisines. I believe in giving back to the community and I have been fortunate to attend various fundraisers for wonderful causes. I love to network and I have been able to not only attend events, but meet other people who share my common interests.
If you were to ask me what I enjoy most about blogging it would be the connections. I do monthly Spotlight features called A Chicagoan YOU should know where I have the chance to meet influential figures in the industry that are passionate about their craft. I love broadcasting hardworking Chicagoans for other people to get to know them. Blogging to me is a passion and my favorite thing is to highlight others.
In my opinion being a blogger is sort of like an open diary you are sharing with the world. I love sharing experiences and tips to help other people navigate Chicago. There’s a sort of honesty to blogging that I cherish. My thoughts on buying followers/likes/comments are those things are dishonest and I definitely don’t want any part of it. I’m sharing my life with you and not robots. We all know why people do it….either for a self-esteem boost, to help reel sponsors in, to increase there followers fast, or because their looking to take the easy way out. I enjoy the ride and watching my audience grow. Blogging to me is FUN and I don’t want to take the fun out of it by being deceptive. I’ll get off my high horse now. LOL. Check out my 5 favorite things on blogging below and 10 FACTS about me. As always thanks for exploring Chi-At-A-Glance with me!
5 things I LOVE about being a blogger
- Networking and collaborating with other bloggers and companies. I loved when I teamed up with Rocksbox for 3 months and got to showcase their designer jewelry. Other collaborations I love are working with Julie Hightower of hit you tube series A Better Day with Julie. It was so much fun meeting her crew and getting in front of the camera. Of course, as you all ready know my favorite networking is through my Spotlight features: A Chicagoan YOU should know.
- Events: I LOVE attending events! I would have to say my favorite one’s I’ve attended so far are the First Look for Charity Auto Show Gala and my “Adult Ditch Day” event I hosted with fellow Lifestyle blogger Chi-girlabouttown.
- Experiences: One of the best experiences I’ve had was being invited to cover the GoodCityChicago Fundraiser event. The activity was a helicopter ride. I had soooo much fun! Thanks Vanessa Abron for a great experience! Make sure to contact her for PR Consulting. She’s a Media Relations Maven!
- Winning! LOL I’ve entered many contests and have gotten some great giveaways from events I have attended. My best gifts would have to be the iPhone sports watch, timberland shoes, boat cruise, designer hand blown glasses with carafe, and oooohhhhh all the goodies from the sweets and snacks expo.
- Creativity: Sitting here and writing this article is fun! I love to write and I love the entrepreneurial spirit I feel by sharing my thoughts with the world. My un-edited thoughts! 🙂
10 Things about Tavi J
- I’m 32 and it’s true….clarity come’s in your 30’s. 30 isn’t the new 20 and I wouldn’t want it to be. I feel much more secure, grounded, and I know what I want.
- I’m very family oriented. I have a VERY close intermediate family. My mom and dad were married for 25 years before my dad passed away. I have one sister who’s 2 years older than me. Love them sooo much!
- I’m a native Chicagoan, but most people don’t think so. LOL…I always get I have an accent. When I’m on the West Coast they say I sound like a Chicagoan, but when I’m in Chicago people normally ask “Where are you from?” 50% of the time people think I’m Nigerian…..not sure of my ancestry…so maybe. 🙂
- Obviously judging from my Instagram page (@chiataglance) I love food, but I’ve also been Yelp Elite for the last 3 years. tavij.yelp.com
- I’m not a huge fan of movies…mainly because I can’t sit still for too long and TV doesn’t interest me all that much either. Favorite movie though is “A Bronx Tale.”
- If a show does interest me it better be good! I’m a huge fan of Game of Thrones, Power, Ballers, and Homeland.
- My best friend (shout out to Nicole D.) is my biggest supporter and biggest critic. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Wish she lived closer, but New York was calling her name.
- I’m a sucker for romantic dates over expensive extravagant items that don’t have meaning.
- I LOVE to follow bloggers who have a “voice.” Meaning I can tell who they are through their articles and I feel like I know them.
- HONESTY is very important to me. As I mention in the article I value authenticity. I lose respect for people who buy followers, likes, or try to take the short cuts in life. Blogging is an adventure. It’s fun watching your audience grow, networking, and meeting REAL people. Remember YOU have to live with YOURSELF…..take the way that will leave you feeling proud in the end.
As always……Thanks for Exploring Chi-At-A-Glance with me! I love all the interaction and kind comments from fellow bloggers and followers. I love my family/friends that have been so supported and keep encouraging me every step of the way. Special Shout out to ALL of my Spotlight Features. I truly appreciated interviewing each and every one of you! If you haven’t already check out the spotlight features HERE!
Thank You Spotlight Features!
“It takes a village to raise a child.” It takes a Network to support a blogger. 🙂
Side Note: Going forward Spotlight features will be every other month. I want to take more time in finding great Chicagoan’s YOU should know and bring you quality articles. Thanks for your understanding!
More from my site